These are seriously good and seriously easy.
1/3 C. sour cream
1/4 C. chopped red onion
3 T. chopped cilantro
1 t. minced canned chipotle chilies
8 oz. Ahi or Big Eye tuna steak, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 T. taco seasoning mix
1 T. vegetable oil (I used EVOO)
4 Low-carb La Tortilla Factory Tortillas
Mix first 4 ingredients, plus 1 TBS of taco seasoning in small bowl.
Place tuna in medium bowl; sprinkle with 1 TBS. of taco seasoning.
Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna; sauté to desired doneness, about 3 minutes for medium. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Stir in sour cream mixture. Cook just until heated through, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes (do not boil). Heat tortillas; fill with tuna mixture.
*Chipotle chilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores and some supermarkets.
Some tips we have learned after making these a couple of times:
- Try a corn tortilla, lettuce or both to wrap the ingredients, instead of the crispy taco
- Add toppings… chopped tomato, cheese, avocado, more chopped cilantro, etc. for taco filling
- We used about ½ the package of taco seasoning to season tuna and then added some to the sour cream mixture!
- Omit the tortilla/taco shell altogether and use filling to top a bed of lettuce for a great salad!
- I've tried other kinds of tuna and it's no where near as good. Ahi and Big Eye tuna are actually the same species. Fish guy told me Ahi is the Hawaiian name for Big Eye.
Number of Servings: 4